I don't know about you, but I'm constantly rushing out of the house in the morning. I sleep as long as possible (and maybe push the snooze a few times), quickly get ready for work, pack my lunch and then...
Rumble. My stomach growls. But I need to head out the door - no time for a healthy, hot breakfast.
It's good to keep a few grab-and-go items in the house for those rushed mornings. Protein bars are an excellent option, but they usually cost a pretty penny. And on top of that, some of these processed bars are made with some sketchy ingredients. If you want to save a buck on breakfast bars and also know which ingredients are in your food, this recipe is for you!
Truth be told, I had a few bags of freeze-dried strawberries from Trader Joe's in my pantry that came to me in a teacher gift. I wasn't quite sure how I was going to use all of them, but these bars were the perfect answer. Who knew that peanut butter and strawberries could be a good combo?
Well, it turns out that they are! And on top of that, these bars are packed with natural protein to fuel your morning - perfect for grabbing on your way out the door!
Scroll down for the recipe!
- 4 cups freeze-dried strawberries
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cups natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- Prepare a 9x13 jelly roll pan with wax or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, process dried strawberries until mostly powdered.
- With an electric mixer, combine dry ingredients.
- Add peanut butter and honey. Mix until well blended.
- Press mixture into prepared pan. Refrigerate bars for an hour, then cut into 12 squares. Bars can be stored in the fridge for a week or frozen.