I love me some pesto!
And believe it or not, I never really grew up eating pesto. Whenever we'd eat an Italian dish, marinara was the go-to sauce. But there's something about pesto that just tastes authentic - like eating at one of those fancy-schmancy restaurants with the checkered table cloths and the menu that no one can read.
Pesto is made from basil, pine nuts, and olive oil, giving that signature green hue. Mix that with a cream-based sauce and you've got yourself the beginnings of a delicious weeknight Italian meal! This pesto tortellini will give you all the Italian restaurant vibes.
This post contains affiliate links. Clicking these links doesn't cost you anything extra, but it does help me run my site and continue to provide free content. For more, read my Disclosure Policy.
Don’t Miss Out!
Subscribe to our email list to receive the latest updates from Chrysalosity.
For this recipe, I was able to find almost every ingredient at Aldi, making this a super-cheap meal that will feed the whole family. One ingredient I could not find at Aldi was sun dried tomatoes - so I substituted a can of diced tomatoes instead. If you really want to make this a flavor-party in your mouth, I highly suggest springing for sun dried tomatoes instead, if you can find them elsewhere! (You can usually find these in the produce section.)
To make this a one-pot recipe (because ain't nobody got time to clean up a mess!), I included several steps for the Instant Pot. However, you're totally free to cook the tortellini and asparagus at the same time over the stove. My personal preference is to do it in steps like this when I have the time. I find it to be less overwhelming when I can focus on one task at a time in the kitchen, and then I have fewer pots and pans to wash later on!
Instant Pot Creamy Pesto Chicken Tortellini
- Pressure Cooker
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked & diced*
- 1 8.8 oz package tortellini
- 2 T olive oil, divided
- 1 lb asparagus, chopped into one inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 T pesto
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- Dump tortellini into Instant Pot and fill with water until just covered.
- Secure the lid and close the vent. Set to manual and cook for 3 minutes on low pressure. When the timer goes off, quick release.
- Drain the excess water from the pasta and set aside in a small bowl.
- Set Instant Pot to saute and heat 1 T olive oil for 1 minute. Add asparagus to pot and stir to coat. Cook for about 4-5 minutes, or until tender. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Add remaining 1 T olive oil to Instant Pot. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, heavy cream, pesto and Italian seasoning. Cook until thickened, whisking regularly.
- Stir in tomatoes, asparagus, and chicken and cook until heated through.
- Add Parmesan cheese and stir until melted.
- Gently fold in tortellini until well combined.
- Optional: Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Serve & enjoy!
Jump on the Instant Pot Bandwagon!
If you haven't tried the Instant Pot yet... what are you waiting for!? Pressure cooking is so easy with the Instant Pot Duo, with so many functions all in one! It has saved me so much time in the kitchen and is easily my favorite appliance.
With that, I hope you enjoy this creamy pesto chicken tortellini recipe!
Like this post? Make sure you share it with your friends on Facebook or Pinterest! Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for fitness inspiration, recipes, and all things lifestyle!