I feel like there are these [crazy] unwritten rules about sweet potato casserole:
- It must be wildly unhealthy; and
- It is only acceptable at Thanksgiving.
Well, I'm here to abolish those unwritten rules. I love sweet potato casserole, and if I want to eat it by the heaping spoonful even after the holidays are over, then why shouldn't I? This Paleo-friendly option will satisfy your comfort food craving without any of the processed junk, so don't feel bad for "splurging" on this sweet side dish all year 'round!
What I love about the Paleo way of eating is that I can read and pronounce all the ingredients - no weird added fillers or preservatives. I had all of these ingredients in my kitchen already, which makes this recipe easy to whip up even on a week night. I used my Instant Pot Ultra to cook the sweet potatoes, but you could make this casserole with just a conventional oven.
Even without all the brown sugar and marshmallows, this recipe is perfectly spiced and sweet - I even opted for an extra scoop in lieu of dessert! Give it a try and let me know what you thought in the comments below.
- 4 large sweet potatoes (about 6 cups, mashed)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 T honey
- 4 T melted coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 bag (2 cups) chopped pecans
- 2 T honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 T melted coconut oil
- Wash sweet potatoes thoroughly.
- If using Instant Pot, add 1 cup of water to inner pot, place potatoes on trivet inside inner pot, and close the lid. Set pot to manual and pressure cook on high for 24 minutes, allowing pressure to release naturally. If using oven, preheat to 425, wrap potatoes in tin foil and bake for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Set/reduce oven temp to 375.
- Allow potatoes to cool. Remove and discard peels.
- Add cooked sweet potatoes to electric mixing bowl along with honey, almond milk, coconut oil, eggs, cinnamon, and salt until well combined. Transfer mixture to a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, mix together pecans, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, and coconut oil for topping. Place in microwave for 30 seconds, then stir again to coat pecans.
- Spoon topping mixture onto potato casserole and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and enjoy your delicious sweet potato casserole!