This DIY manicure has been a lifesaver during this time of quarantine!
I'm not typically one to get regular salon manicures. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to, but at this point it's not in our budget. And I'm guessing that for most women reading this, that's also the case. A DIY manicure can be a fun way to pass time during quarantine, and heaven knows we need it after all this vigorous hand-washing!
I've been using this DIY manicure routine for years now! It's super easy, and for the most part, you'll likely have everything you need for it at home. I'll link some helpful manicure tools below for you to shop if you'd like. Otherwise, enjoy this time to pamper yourself, lady!
This post contains affiliate links. Purchasing from these links doesn't cost you anything extra, but it does help me run my site and continue to provide free content. For more, read my Disclosure Policy.
Want Updates on More Free Content?
Subscribe to the email list to receive the latest updates from Chrysalosity!
Supplies You'll Need
You may already have most of these supplies at home. I do recommend checking out this manicure kit and this set of files and buffers from Amazon. It's always good to have these on hand! (No pun intended...)
Some of you may also even have your own UV light and gel polish set at home, which is awesome! I honestly love how long gel manicures last, but I find the removal process too time-consuming. If you're planning to polish as part of your DIY manicure, I suggest trying Sally Hansen's Miracle Gel Polish and Top Coat. I personally think it lasts a long time and is the most efficient and cost-effective product for what I'm looking for in a DIY manicure. I'll link a few of my favorite colors below!
- Large Bowl (you could also just use a sink with a drain plug)
- Nail clipper
- Cuticle trimmer
- Nail file
- Buffing block
- Nail brush
- Hand towels
- Exfoliating hand scrub
- Hand cream
- Nail polish remover
- Nail Polish
- Top Coat
DIY Manicure Routine
- Soak hands in a bowl or sink full of warm water for 5 minutes.
- With a cuticle trimmer, trim any loose skin around each nail. Push back cuticles.
- Trim, file and shape nails as desired. (I usually prefer a round shape - check out this article on nail shapes for more info!)
- Buff each nail using a buffing block to smooth out ridges.
- With a nail brush, clean under nails and remove any nail dust from filing and buffing.
- Massage hand scrub into hands to exfoliate, rinse clean, and dry your hands.
- Massage hand cream into hands. Wrap each hand in a warm, lightly damp cloth or hand towel and let sit for 5 minutes to absorb.
- Apply polish remover to prime each nail for paint. This will allow polish to adhere properly to each nail.
- Apply at least two coats of desired nail polish color to each nail.
- Once color is dry, apply one layer of top coat to each nail.
- If necessary, use a Q-tip coated with polish remover or polish removing wipes to carefully remove excess polish around the cuticle.
- Allow plenty of time to dry properly and admire your work!
Stay healthy and take care of yourself!
Carolyn | The Organic Gypsy says
Oh gosh… now that we are in lockdown, I can sure do with a fab manicure! However, I have never actually done a manicure before… so these tips are super helpful! Thank you. Great post.
Valentina Chirico says
It’s that ‘me time’ that I cut with or without quarantine ongoing XD. I like to take my time and I enjoy my DIY manicure.
I do exactly like you, except for Step 1 because my nails are quite brittle, so I soften my cuticle with a balm before pushing them 😉
xoxo and have fun with lacquers now!